Desmond’s Army Membership Meeting
13July2019 1:00 PM Nino’s Trattoria, Waterbury, CT (bar area)
Attendees Please be sure to “Sign in” before leaving, and guest speaker Jo-Anne Basile, from CT Votes for Animals
President Announcements (30 min.)
● Welcome to our THIRD Member Meeting of the year!
● Please join me in welcoming our guest speaker Jo-Anne Basile , Executive Director, CT Votes for Animals who will be speaking after our lunch break on updates to CT Pet Laws.
● desmondsarmy.org News: Desmond’s Army’s Second Quarter 2019 Newsletter is hot off the press and posted online under “Newsletters”
● Recent Educational Events: a. May 2 – Habitat for Humanity Women Build Day in Hartford – Second year Desmond’s Army participated. b. May 16 – Open Discussion with Hartford Community Court by invitation of States Attorney Tom O’Brien and UCONN Law Professor and DA Animal Advocate, Jessica Ruben.
● High Profile Court Cases: Heidi Lueders (Bridgeport) continued 7/15, First Non-Dog/Cat DA case Monica Confer (Enfield) continued 7/30, responsible for the deaths of numerous rabbits (continued 7/30). Disgraced Veterinarian Amr Wasfi (Bridgeport) continued 8/5.
● DA Scholarship Award Update : We have selected who will receive DA’s first Scholarship Award. The announcement and presentation to the recipient will be made at our Annual Desmond’s Legacy event on October 5th.
● New Fundraising Events under development: Flatbread Company, Strykers Cafe
Treasurer’s Report (Q3 2019) (15 min.)
● Donations to Desmond’s Army for the quarter:
● Donations to animals needing medical care in abuse cases:
● Merchandise Updates:
● Remember to shop using Amazon Smile to donate to Desmond’s Army
● “Fairfield Five” Memorial Bench – We are more than half-way there! Three ways to donate: via desmondsarmy.org/donate , by check with “Memorial” in the note area, or order the special t-shirts on https://desmondsarmy.org/shop
Food/Drink Break (15 minutes)
Guest Speaker: Jo-Anne Basile, Executive Director, CT Votes for Animals (30 min.) Jo-Anne will share CT Votes for Animal’s (CVA) results of their efforts in fighting for animals in this year’s challenging 2019 Legislative Session. CVA had several successful wins i.e. defeating Bear Hunting and Nuisance Wildlife and stopping the proposed Tax on Veterinary Services. Beginning October 1, 2019, pet stores and online sellers are prohibited from using predatory lease and purchase agreements in CT. However, she will also be discussing future legislation priorities:
● Exemption from Accelerated Rehabilitation (AR) in certain cases of animal abuse.
● Puppy Mill Bill prohibiting the sale or transfer of dogs, cats and rabbits at pet shops that are not from animal welfare organizations ● Expanding of Desmond’s Law to include any animal – at the discretion of the Judge
Volunteer Coordinator Updates (20 min.)
● We would like to thank Theo for all of her work on our Newsletter and Event Calendar, Doreen for her efforts as our volunteer coordinator and Mariette for assisting with new fundraising events.
● Are their any updates our Coordinators would like to share?
Action Item: Who will volunteer be our Merchandise Coordinator ??
Upcoming Events (10 min.)
● Jul. 14 – Woof Pack Open House, 30 Cross St., Bristol 10AM-12PM
● Aug. 10 – Woofstock on the Branford Green, Branford 12PM-6PM
● Aug. 17 – BAAC Motorcycle Rally & Pet Adoption Event, 290 Washington Ave., North Haven 1PM-May 6PM
● Aug. 20 – DA Fundraising Event Flatbread Company, 110 Albany Turnpike, Canton 5PM-9PM
● Sep. 7 – Bow Wow Bark In The Park, Rockwell Park, 128 Jacobs St., Bristol 10AM-5PM
● Sep. 14 – Stryker’s Cafe, 841 Berlin Turnpike, Berlin, CT 6:30PM-10:30PM
● Sep. 21 – DA Member Meeting, Nino’s Trattoria, 91 Scott Rd, Waterbury 1PM-3PM
● Sep. 28 – Winsted Fall Festival, Main Street, Winsted 10AM-3PM
● Oct. 5 – Desmond’s Legacy (location TBD) 1PM-6PM
● New Merchandise Coordinator
● Desmond’s Legacy – Annual Fundraising Event – Site Selection, Fundraising Goals, Event Planning
Next Meeting Agenda
● Final Planning for Desmond’s Legacy Oct. 5, 1PM-6PM Adjourn