Desmond’s Army Membership Meeting Minutes
29Aug 2020 | 1:00 PM | Nino’s Trattoria, Waterbury, CT (separate room)
A. ATTENDEES 1:15 pm
Zilla Cannamela, Linda Pleva, Candace Bouchard, Holly Ann Fontaine, Sherrie Gioia, Cathy Jecture, Noreen Lotko, Jaye Markwell, Jessica Corsaletti, Debbie Godin Redman, John Frascatore, Peggy Miller, Trish Ulin, Maria Longo, Tina St Germain, and Judy Umstead (16)
B. WELCOME New Prospects – Maria Longo and Trish Ulin, who are currently working toward becoming active members.
C. NECROPSY FUND (announced on January 25, 2020) DA notified local authorities that DA would pay for necropsy in the Nazareno Goldston case. Although DA pays for the necropsy, the results go directly to the courts and become part of the case’s
evidence. DA will not receive the results to ensure court cases are not tainted.
D. REWARD PLEDGES Two $1,000 pledges were offered for the Sharon and
Southington Cats. No updates on either case from authorities.
• Court Protocol reminder from last member meeting. Inside court – 2 only J. Frascatore plus a BOD or seniority. Outside court – never engage with a defendant. However, if they pursue, you let the Marshal know-be safe. DA members always act with respect to the courts.
• Most of the court times are at 2:00 pm and could change, so times will have to be watched and verified.
• VIP Invitations to DA Events – Contact a Zilla or a board member IMMEDIATELY should a VIP be interested in attending. IMMEDIATELY – blow up phones until you get ahold of one of us.
• “UCONN Advocate” no individual from UCONN law is identified – just UCONN Advocate no individual names.
F. SPECIAL EVENTS
• Fairfield Five Memorial Bench replacement update, celebrate after conviction.
• Desmond’s Legacy (November 7) canceled 2020 due to phase 3 COVID protocols not announced.
• Second Drive-By Caravan Plan with Police/Animal Control Offi cers. The fi rst caravan went well, and the timing was perfect. The second one is to include Southington, Bristol/Plymouth, Thomaston, Watertown (possibly including Woodbury and Bethlehem to meet at Watertown), then maybe Naugatuck (two- hour tour. Date/times to be announced when the timing is confi rmed.
• Report from Mariette Slater/Tiffany Eastman
1. We are working on a fundraiser with gift cards (value 150-200 ea.) for significant retailers & restaurants (no local to attract a broader audience, i.e., Kohl’s, Macy’s, iHop, McDonald’s, etc. Found discounted gift cards at Dollar General, Rite Aid & CVS. Panera Bread is running 20% off now. Suggest we can all donate gift cards and ask friends/supporters to do the same. We were learning how to do the tickets, drawing, etc. online. Great for the holidays.
2. We are asking my Audi dealer if we can set up a table outside to take donations? Dealership mgr on vacation, but will follow up.
3. Flatbread is not doing fundraisers until next year or when capacity is lifted due to COVID—working with Mike/Manager to get a new date.
Ideas from the meeting:
• Noreen Lotko – Showed an example of an artist’s stuffed animal. If purchased in bulk, (10) cost for this breed is $9.99; other breeds different rates.
• Peggy Miller – Example from Branford had a raffle for 34 local restaurant gift cards valued at $100 ea. = $3,400 total value. Raffle tickets were $25 ea.; raised approximately $40,000.
• Jewelry Fundraiser Update – fun event; fi nal monies raised not be received yet.
• Upcoming Bingo Fundraiser (September 10) Reminder: order Bingo Cards
H. TREASURER’S REPORT General Operating Fund Balance $14,000 as of the end of
August 2020. $7,500 Mission Monies set aside in a separate account.
I. PROMOTIONAL ITEMS/SHOP
• Tank Tops – currently only available for ACTIVE Members; not Supporters
• Face Masks – Status update to follow
• Signage – Email orders to L. Pleva by September 1
• Car Magnets – Contact L. Pleva with your orders two sizes sold in multiples. If you only want one of any magnet, reach out to another member to split the cost—email orders.
• NEXT Member Meeting: October 3, at Nino’s Trattoria, Waterbury 1:00-3:00 pm
K. ADJOURN 4:17 pm