DESMOND’S ARMY IS A PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATION. IT IS IMPORTANT THAT WE CONDUCT OURSELVES IN AN ORDERLY AND PROFESSIONAL MANNER AT ALL TIMES.
All members of Desmond’s Army are required to adhere to our codes of conduct. Failure to do so may result in dismissal.
COURTROOM CODE OF CONDUCT
BEFORE COURT IS IN SESSION
- Always wear your Desmond’s Army gear. If you don’t have it, please wear a dark purple top. Dress appropriately for a professional and respectful appearance in the courtroom.
- No offensive language in public or on signs.
- Protest peacefully and somewhat quietly.
- Do not harass the defendant or his/her council as they enter the courthouse.
- Appoint a spokesperson to speak to the media should we be asked to make a statement.
- Put signage away before going inside. Some courts allow us to leave signs inside the door with wording facing the wall. Ask a marshal if you are unsure.
ONCE INSIDE THE COURTHOUSE LOBBY
- Speak quietly.
- DO NOT SPEAK TO OR HARASS THE DEFENDANT.
- NO PHOTOS are to be taken inside the courthouse.
- Do not block hallways, doorways, etc.
ONCE INSIDE THE COURTROOM
- Sit on the side of the courtroom behind the prosecution’s table (if you know which side that is – usually the right side)
- DO NOT SIT NEXT TO THE DEFENDANT.
- Turn phones off or to silent BEFORE going into the courtroom. Do not use phones while in the courtroom.
- Be quiet and stop talking once the judge enters.
- Be respectful, do not put your feet up, slouch or stare at the defendant.
- Remain quiet after the case is heard – wait for defendant to leave, then exit the courtroom quietly. Do not interrupt while a case is being heard.
- Remain quiet in the hallway and until you exit the building.
- If the advocate or prosecutor asks to speak to a DA member, please do not gather around unless invited. Allow them to speak together and wait for the DA representative to update you.
FACEBOOK CODE OF CONDUCT
- NO COPYING, NO PASTING, NO SCREENSHOTS AND NO SHARING. This is a private page and its contents are for Desmond’s Army members only. Sharing of this information in any way could jeopardize a case and could pose a serious safety concern to our members. If it is found that information from this private page is being shared, the member doing so will immediately be removed.
- NO DENOUNCING ANIMAL CONTROL OFFICERS, POLICE OR ELECTED OFFICIALS.
- NO BICKERING. NO DRAMA.
- NO POSTING if you are not sure if this is the appropriate forum. Please direct questions regarding posts to the director at firstname.lastname@example.org
- NO USING THE “DESMOND’S ARMY” NAME for personal gain under any circumstance
- WATCH YOUR LANGUAGE. We all get angry about the abuse that we see, but remember that bad language is not acceptable to all and it may be construed as disrespectful.
- WHEN ASKED A QUESTION, please respond with the answer only. It is very time consuming to read through 100 posts that have nothing to do with the original question or subject.