ACTIVE MEMBER REQUIREMENTS
People who become “Active Members” of Desmond’s Army are those who are committed and dedicated to actively advocating for animals.
Many people advocate for animals simply by being compassionate; they may talk with family or friends regarding animals, sign online petitions, share their concerns on social media, etc.
Active members of Desmond’s Army are people who are willing and able to do more. Active members are volunteers who donate their time on a regular basis in one or more of the following ways:
- Attend active court cases of those charged with crimes against animals in CT
- Volunteer with Desmond’s Army at fundraising events
- Actively contribute in the day to day tasks of operation of Desmond’s Army
- Attend functions involving animal advocacy as a representative of Desmond’s Army
- Be a voice with local and state representatives to support animal cruelty legislation
- Be a registered voter
- Must become knowledgeable about CT Animal Cruelty Laws, Desmond’s Law, Desmond’s Army and its mission,
- Understand the importance of confidentiality with regards to details of cases and must be willing to sign a confidentiality agreement and a waiver of liability, and
- Are asked to make an annual donation (referred to as a membership fee) of $20.00 by July 1st each year or $10.00 semi-annually payable by July 1st and January 1st. The membership fee is non-refundable.
By doing so they will be granted access to the “Active Members Only Desmond’s Army Animal Law Advocates” Facebook page and also to the Member’s portion of the DesmondsArmy.org website. Our “Active Members” Facebook page is an open forum where members can discuss the cases, share their concerns and ideas and give input about ways to help promote justice and better living for animals. Desmond’s Army “Animal Law Advocate” gear will be available to members on our website.
People wishing to become an active member are required to be a Desmond’s Army “Supporter” first. This work is sometimes physically and emotionally difficult. Not everyone wishes to become “active”. A supporter must contribute to the army by volunteering at a minimum of 10 events (ie: court cases, fundraising events, legislative events, etc.) or by volunteering in other ways for a certain amount of hours (to be determined based on activity).
Animal Control Officers (ACO) are invited to be a part of this group without becoming a “member” and are not asked to make a donation or sign a confidentiality agreement. We respect our relationships with our ACOs and understand that this may be a considered a “conflict of interest” to their municipal employers.
If you would like to become an Active Member, please click here to complete the registration form. You are not required to pay the membership fee until you have completed attendance of 10 events. Membership fees are non-refundable. Click here to pay the fee.